Worrying about your breasts doesn’t have to be spooky! As we kick off breast cancer awareness month, we want to remind every woman that early detection is KEY! CanCan is all about putting people into action about their health, giving them tools for early detection, prevention and self-advocacy. We give healthy women (and some men!), from all walks of life, a fun way to learn what they can do to feel more in control and less in fear about cancer.
CanCan and The Hope Heart have collaboarated to bring you this fun and interactive Above The Belt Education Program! We were awarded a federal grant for the 2016 year to roll out this important programming across college campuses in WA, OR, and CA. Why Above The Belt Health? You might ask, what do these two subjects have in common besides a general location in the body? As women, we need to be educated on these two diseases so we can be proactive about our health, and know our risks, so we can take preventative steps against each, and know the signs and symptoms of these diseases.
Did you know…
- Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer in women- Takes 1 in 4 lives
- Breast Cancer is most common cancer in women in the U.S., and the second leading cause of cancer deaths. Lung cancer is #1.
- The reason CanCan and the Hope Heart have teamed up is because healthy lifestyle choices can help prevent both Heart Disease and Breast Cancer.
Each Above The Belt Program includes:
- a one hour workshop at no cost to you or your organization
- a health instructor to discuss heart disease and breast cancer risk factors and screening methods
- a cancer or heart disease survivor to share her story
- role of genetics, family history, and the importance of preventative lifestyle choices
- a comfortable setting to get answers to questions you’ve been scared to ask
- learn how to feel for lumps in breast models/ self-exam
- learn about signs and symptoms of a heart attach for women
- education on early detection and prevention so you can be more in control and less in fear of these diseases.
If you are interested in scheduling an Above The Belt Workshop, please email: email@example.com.