Sangari is from Singapore and am currently a Junior at Oregon State University with a major in Sociology and a minor in Women’s Gender & Sexuality Studies as well as Leadership. She enjoys exploring the world that surrounds her, so needless to say traveling both locally and internationally is something she lives for. After becoming a member of Alpha Kappa Psi, a professional business fraternity on campus, Sangari was looking for more ways to be engaged with her campus and community. Thus when she saw that CanCan was going to be at the Career Fair, she was intrigued and decided to do more research about the organization and knew immediately that she had to be a part of this amazing organization. With close loved ones having been affected by cancer, specifically breast cancer, she has witnessed first-hand how important spreading awareness and education about our health is. She is a firm believer that education is the biggest tool of empowerment. So when reading about CanCan, something that definitely stood out to her was the various tools that are provided to a diverse group of women of all ages to promote “early detection, prevention and self-advocacy.” She is so excited to be a part of such CanCan and cannot wait to be involved in engaging women to take a more active role about their own health!
CanCan and The Hope Heart have collaboarated to bring you this fun and interactive Above The Belt Education Program! We were awarded a federal grant for the 2016 year to roll out this important programming across college campuses in WA, OR, and CA. Why Above The Belt Health? You might ask, what do these two subjects have in common besides a general location in the body? As women, we need to be educated on these two diseases so we can be proactive about our health, and know our risks, so we can take preventative steps against each, and know the signs and symptoms of these diseases.
Did you know…
- Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer in women- Takes 1 in 4 lives
- Breast Cancer is most common cancer in women in the U.S., and the second leading cause of cancer deaths. Lung cancer is #1.
- The reason CanCan and the Hope Heart have teamed up is because healthy lifestyle choices can help prevent both Heart Disease and Breast Cancer.
Each Above The Belt Program includes:
- a one hour workshop at no cost to you or your organization
- a health instructor to discuss heart disease and breast cancer risk factors and screening methods
- a cancer or heart disease survivor to share her story
- role of genetics, family history, and the importance of preventative lifestyle choices
- a comfortable setting to get answers to questions you’ve been scared to ask
- learn how to feel for lumps in breast models/ self-exam
- learn about signs and symptoms of a heart attach for women
- education on early detection and prevention so you can be more in control and less in fear of these diseases.
If you are interested in scheduling an Above The Belt Workshop, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.