Emily Robinson is the 2016-2017 WSU Campus Ambassador. She is from Kirkland, WA, and currently a senior at Washington State University studying Public Relations and Psychology. She is involved in CanCan to support her mother, a breast cancer survivor. When she is not working with CanCan bringing ovarian and breast health education to WSU, she enjoys hiking, being by the water, and just being surrounded by friends and family! Go Cougs!
CanCan and The Hope Heart have collaboarated to bring you this fun and interactive Above The Belt Education Program! We were awarded a federal grant for the 2016 year to roll out this important programming across college campuses in WA, OR, and CA. Why Above The Belt Health? You might ask, what do these two subjects have in common besides a general location in the body? As women, we need to be educated on these two diseases so we can be proactive about our health, and know our risks, so we can take preventative steps against each, and know the signs and symptoms of these diseases.
Did you know…
- Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer in women- Takes 1 in 4 lives
- Breast Cancer is most common cancer in women in the U.S., and the second leading cause of cancer deaths. Lung cancer is #1.
- The reason CanCan and the Hope Heart have teamed up is because healthy lifestyle choices can help prevent both Heart Disease and Breast Cancer.
Each Above The Belt Program includes:
- a one hour workshop at no cost to you or your organization
- a health instructor to discuss heart disease and breast cancer risk factors and screening methods
- a cancer or heart disease survivor to share her story
- role of genetics, family history, and the importance of preventative lifestyle choices
- a comfortable setting to get answers to questions you’ve been scared to ask
- learn how to feel for lumps in breast models/ self-exam
- learn about signs and symptoms of a heart attach for women
- education on early detection and prevention so you can be more in control and less in fear of these diseases.
If you are interested in scheduling an Above The Belt Workshop, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.